March 2103 420 Pages 160 tables 30+ Company Profiles
Marketdata today released the 12 edition of this incisive analysis of ALL 10 segments of the weight loss market. Some Major Findings:
- Growth of the total market slowed to just 1.7% last year, to $61.6 billion, as most market segments were flat or saw minimal growth. Revenues are forecast to grow 2.6% in 2013.
- The number of American dieters was raised to 108 million, but 82% of them now want a do-it-yourself, low-priced, home-based program, accessed by phone or the Internet.
- The diet food home delivery market contracted 7-8% to $858 million, as leader NutriSystem saw flat revenues in 2012.
- Multi-level Marketing (MLM) became the engine of strong growth for Herbalife, Visalis Sciences and Medifast. In fact, Herbalife took over the #2 spot among diet companies with $529 million in North American sales. Visalis' sales grew five-fold in 2011.
- Online dieting is a $1.1 billion market that's growing 8%/year. Dieters continue to patronize WeightWatchers.com, which leads by far with 1.7 million subscribers and $504 million in sales.
- Weight loss surgeries fell about 15% from 2009-2012, as new government data contradicts estimates by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. There were 114,000 procedures performed - not 209,000.
- The new Rx drugs Qsymia and Belviq are NOT expected to be a significant threat to other weight loss products or programs this year. Qsymia sales were poor in Q4 2012. All Rx diet drugs last year had sales of $525 million.
- The B2B corporate worksite-based weight loss market is estimated to be worth $859 million, and is just one example of untapped niches that diet companies need to tap for future growth. Other untapped niches include programs for: Hispanic dieters, Blacks, adolescents, the Canadian market, diabetics, and men.
- Meal replacements are becoming more popular as an easy, low-cost DIY diet option. They are safe and easy to make, and are increasingly being private labeled for new start-ups.
** For a complete Report Table of Contents or to order
(single chapters may be purchased, with a BOGO 2 for 1 special) see Marketdata's website:
http://www.marketdataenterprises.com/FullIndustryStudies.htm (Report #FS22)
Or Call Us at: 813-907-9090 M-F, 9-5.